Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions and answers of staff at the Village of Elkhorn Municipal Office.   Feel free to contact us if you still require more information to your question:  

How much does it cost for a tax certificate?   

A tax certificate costs $25.00 per parcel.

 I want to put an access/driveway on to my property, what do I need to do?   

You will need to apply to the R.M. of Wallace-Woodworth Council with a site plan.  

Where do I find out information on zoning and building permits?   

Contact Cory Nixon, Development Officer, TransCanada West Planning District – 204-851-0028  

When are taxes due?   

Taxes are due on October 31st without penalty.  

What if I want to make an early payment for taxes?  

Any payment in the form of cash, cheque, debit is accepted at the LUD of Village Office. Online/telebanking through the SunRise Credit Union, Vanguard Credit Union, CIBC, Scotia Bank and Royal Bank is also accepted.  

 Do you accept post dated cheques?   

Yes we accept post dated cheques.   

Do you send out monthly tax statements?   

No, the tax bills are printed by Intergovernmental Affairs and will be mailed out once during May or early June of the year.  

I sent in a payment for the amount that was stated on my tax bill but yet I received a receipt showing there are still taxes owing? Why?   

If there were arrears owing on the tax statement, then the tax amount due would change each month because of the monthly penalty charge or could also be added taxes.   Payments are applied to arrears first and balance to current taxes.   

When are tax penalties charged?   

Tax penalties are charged on November 1st annually and monthly thereafter at 1.25% per month.    

What are the hours of operation at the Elkhorn/Wallace Nuisance Ground Site (Hargrave)?   

SUMMER HOURS (May 1 - September 30):  Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thursday - 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. Saturday - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.   WINTER HOURS (October 1 - April 30):  Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thursday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.    

If I have a complaint or concern, how should I report it?  You can call, attend or send our office notice of the complaint or concern. It will then be forwarded to the LUD of Elkhorn Committee, R.M. of Wallace-Woodworth Council or By-Law Enforcer/Foreman for further review. We encourage written complaints or concerns when possible.