The RM of Wallace-Woodworth is home to many designated Heritage Sites. For more information on the below listed sites, visit the Manitoba Municipal Historic Sites Webpage or the Manitoba Historical Society Webpage
Elkhorn United Church: 102 Foxford Avenue E. Elkhorn, MB
Site No. 109- Designated February 16, 1994
Elkhorn United Church is a fine example of a substantial community church built in a growing rural center in the early twentieth century. Its functional design, restrained Gothic Revival embellishments, quality materials and modified Akron plan are typical of the era’s Methodist architecture. Through its cornerstones and fine oak pulpit from the local Presbyterian church, the well-appointed structure also recalls the process of Protestant church union in rural Manitoba. Presbyterians and Methodists first shared the premises, renamed for a time as the Elkhorn Union Church, then in 1925 became one congregation within the United Church of Canada.
Leander Lawlor House: Earl St. Kenton, MB
Site No. 384- Designated August 13, 2014
The Leander Lawlor House (now Woodworth Millennium Museum) is one of the few well-preserved buildings remaining from the village’s Establishment-era history, when Kenton was one of three business centres in the Rural Municipality of Woodworth after the Canadian Pacific Railway built a branch line through the district in 1901. The original owner, Leander Lawlor, was a longstanding Kenton businessman and built many local residential and commercial buildings between 1904 and 1917. For his own house, Mr Lawlor constructed a large and impressive building, distinguished with a fine verandah. The six modest bedrooms in the second storey, which has a fairly good level of physical integrity, help tell the story of its time as a boarding house. This type of housing was important to the development of early-twentieth century prairie towns, where a boarding house provided a temporary or longer-term residence for those newly-arrived or in transition. Single men often found homes for years in such residences, which provided meals and social contact as well as a bed. Today, the house is valued as the site of a community museum.
Kola Anglican Church of the Advent: NE 13-10-29 WPM Kola, MB
Site No. 99- Designated September 28, 1993
The modest Kola Anglican Church of the Advent is one of the oldest churches in southwestern Manitoba still on its original site. Built by the first wave of British-Ontario settlers to the Arawana district, the structure is an excellent early example of Gothic-inspired design invitingly set on a gentle knoll where its economical but deft features, such as a small bellcote and east window tracery, are displayed to full effect. The largely intact interior, with its warm natural wood finishes and serviceable furnishings, further demonstrates the church’s straightforward qualities as a pioneer-era house of worship.
Breadalbane Presbyterian Church: NW 12-11-25 WPM Lenore, MB
Site No. 373- Designated August 14, 2012
Breadalbane Presbyterian Church is an outstanding and well-preserved example of the kind of small rural church built in the Establishment period as the railway attracted new pioneers westward, and a rare surviving example in stone. Its excellent craftsmanship is a testament to the competence of its largely Scottish congregation, who built it from local granite fieldstone under the direction of C.B. Murphy after their original 1889 frame church was destroyed by a tornado. It has a high degree of interior and exterior physical integrity, and retains its original interior fittings and its doors, hardware, windows, and shutters.